Teacher Pep Talk For Dealing with Unrealistic Expectations and Feeling Like It's Never "Enough" (Ep. 18)Sep 20, 2022
If you are a teacher, my guess is that you have dealt with unrealistic expectations from administration, colleagues, parents, students, and even dare I say...from yourself. This is one of the things teachers tell me all the time about their stress levels - that there are these expectations put on them to do it all. The truth is: we can't do it all. No one can. In this episode, I am going to talk about some times where unrealistic expectations may show up for you, the top 5 ways to handle it, and then bring you a pep talk for the next time you're in that situation again. So make sure you stick around until the end because you're not going to want to miss that part!
These pep talk style episodes are my attempt to create a more authentic way for you to connect with me, for you to feel like you have support on your hardest days (even if and ESPECIALLY if you don't have that in your community or schools). I also created this style in an effort to show you that you are not alone. We are in this together and YOU ARE a RESILIENT TEACHER!
- Teacher Community Shout Out of the Week
- What motivated me to talk about this topic (3:40)
- You're not alone - I experienced this, too (4:00)
- 4 ways Unrealistic Expectations can show up in teaching (7:03)
- The top 5 ways we can handle unrealistic expectations (10:34)
- How to navigate our personal unrealistic expectations of ourselves (15:22)
- Motivation to let those things go and make the change (16:54)
- Reminders for you as you navigate this. (18:22)
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- FREE 10 Minute Audit Your Work Life Balance Workshop: the practical approach to examining energizing and energy draining teacher tasks
- Free 10 Minute Work-Life Balance Audit Training
- FREE 11 page Audit Workbook
- Connect Your Mind, Body, and Soul with the Mental Health Company's gut-brain axis supplements
- The Individualized EduCare Program
- The Ultimate Teacher Digital Planner
- FREE Affirmations for Burned Out Teachers Workbook
CONNECT WITH BRITTANY:
- Connect with Brittany on Instagram @teachingmindbodyandsoul
- Learn more on TikTok with Brittany @msprincessteach
- Episode 15: Teacher Burnout to Boundaries with Special Guest Spencer Cotter
- Episode 16: TEACHER PEP TALK: “Quiet Quitting” For When You are Struggling with Setting Authentic Boundaries
- Episode 14: Teacher Pep Talk: For When You’re Doubting Yourself and Letting Limiting Beliefs Keep You Stuck
- Episode 10: TEACHER PEP TALK: For When You're Overwhelmed and Dropping the Ball
- Episode 12: Teacher Pep Talk: For When You Need to Change Your Teacher Mindset
MORE ABOUT THE RESILIENT TEACHER PODCAST:
The Resilient Teacher Podcast is the show that will give overwhelmed educators the support, tools, and mindset to reduce teacher burnout and keep teaching sustainable. Each week, Brittany Blackwell, M.Ed. & her guests will share inspiration and actionable steps to avoid or recover from the dreaded teacher burnout. You'll be inspired to individualize self-care and learn to prioritize your well-being and mental health, all while making a bigger impact on your classrooms and community.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.