69. How To Set Personal & Professional Learning Goals That Transform Teacher Burnout with Special Guest Melissa SteigerwaldAug 29, 2023
Often we think of teacher learning goals as these things that include educational jargon like "rigor" or "learning gap." But if we aren't creating our own professional learning goals, then it's almost pointless.
In this episode, we dive into how Melissa, a teacher just like you (not an influencer or social media teacher) used this podcast to set a professional learning goal to beat the teacher burnout cycle once and for all. As you listen to her story, I'm sure you'll feel a little sense of "Oh, I've been there too" and grab a few ideas to add to your plan to beat burnout this school year. It's a constant process and the process of setting these goals is what leads to reviving that passion for teaching again.
Melissa is a veteran teacher with 20 years experience in the classroom. Out of college, she was hired to teach 4 year old kindergarten in a suburb of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She has been blessed to be able to stay in the same school, grade level and classroom for her entire career. She considers herself to be an ordinary classroom teacher as she does not have any teacher social media presence. Melissa tries to make a difference every day by bringing joy, playfulness and connection to our youngest learners.
- Melissa's Story: The Onset of Teacher Burnout
- The Silent Killer of Joy in Her Teaching Career: Personal Struggles and Escalating Symptoms
- Factors contributing to burnout (turnover, behavior issues, COVID-19)
- Finding Support and Strategies to Overcome Teacher Burnout
- How Melissa Used the Podcast for Tools & Strategies
- Creating a Professional Learning Goal to Transform Teacher Burnout
- 3 Strategies Melissa Used in her Burnout Recovery
- Turning the Page: Starting Small and Learning Self-Regulation Techniques
- The Importance of Ongoing Self-Care and Checking In
- Final Thoughts and Advice
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Request Professional Development from your Administrator
- Interested in getting support for your school - Check out the For Schools Page
- Take the FREE Teacher Burnout Roadmap to Burnout Recovery Quiz - Take this short, fun, and informative quiz to discover what you need to sustain your teaching career and begin burnout recovery. This quiz will help you understand what support systems you need, how to prioritize your mental health to live a fulfilling and energized life as a teacher, and what drives your self-care.
CONNECT WITH MELISSA STEIGERWALD:
- Email: [email protected]
CONNECT WITH BRITTANY:
- Connect with Brittany on Instagram @teachingmindbodyandsoul
- Learn more on TikTok with Brittany @msprincessteach
- Episode 59: Breathing Life into Education: The Power of Breathwork in Reducing Stress & Teacher Burnout with Dr. Katie Raher
- Episode 55: Why Summer Break is the Best Time To Begin Teacher Burnout Recovery: The 3 Essential Steps to Using Summer to Break the Burnout Cycle
- Episode 60: Unlocking Classroom Success: 4 Types of Systems You Need to Stress Less & Sustain Your Career [Summer Self-Care Series] with Special Guest Samantha Holcomb
- Episode 61: Tapping into Joyful Living Inside & Outside of the Classroom: Strategies for Teacher Happiness with Special Guest Maddy Fry
- Episode 62: Digital Organization: Your Secret Weapon for Stress-Free Teaching with Special Guest Lisa McHargue
- Episode 63: How to Beat Behavior Burnout: Expert Strategies for Managing Student Behavior with Special Guest Rachel Nye [Summer Self-Care Series]
MORE ABOUT THE RESILIENT TEACHER PODCAST:
The Resilient Teacher Podcast is the show that will give overwhelmed educators the support, tools, and mindset to reduce teacher burnout and keep teaching sustainable. Each week, Brittany Blackwell, M.Ed. & her guests will share inspiration and actionable steps to avoid or recover from the dreaded teacher burnout. You'll be inspired to individualize self-care and learn to prioritize your well-being and mental health, all while making a bigger impact on your classrooms and community.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW ON ITUNES:
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If not, I encourage you to do that NOW so you never miss another episode! New episodes are added every Tuesday, and if you're not subscribed there's a good chance you might miss out on notifications that a new episode has gone live. Click here to subscribe on iTunes!
And if you are feeling extra amazing, I would be super grateful if you would leave a review on iTunes, too! Those reviews help other educators who are burned out and needing support find the podcast, and I love shouting you out on the Community Reviewer of the Week Segment! Just click here to review, select "Ratings & Reviews" and "Write a Review" and share what you are loving about the podcast!
Some links on this page are affiliate links. This helps to support this podcast at no additional cost to you.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.