53. From Smartphones to Stressors: Unmasking the Effects of Cell Phone Addiction on TeachersMay 23, 2023
Are kids today addicted to their phones? And more importantly, how does this addiction affect their presence in the classroom? But let's not stop there. Let's reflect on ourselves as adults. Are we also caught in the grip of phone addiction? Today's topic hits home for me personally, as I've witnessed the staggering number of cell phone issues in my classroom, ranging from distractions to cyberbullying, over the past few years. But I've also come to realize, I too, might be addicted.
Recently, I've made a conscious effort to reduce my social media usage and prioritize meaningful connections with my family. This self-reflection has opened my eyes to the profound impact of phone addiction on our mental health as teachers. In this episode, we'll explore surprising statistics, my own journey of taking a social media hiatus, and the steps I'm taking to address this issue. Together, we'll learn how to set boundaries, break free from the addiction cycle, and ultimately protect ourselves from teacher burnout and increased stress. It's time to reclaim our classrooms from cell phone addiction.
- Is cell phone addiction taking over our classrooms?
- My personal experience with cell phone addiction in the classroom
- Surprising statistics about cell phone and social media addiction
- Why are people so addicted?
- How cell phones increase stress and add to the stress cycle
- How cell phone addiction impacts teacher burnout
- The challenge we can do together to break the addiction
- How negativity online is adding to teacher stress & burnout
- 4 ways to curate a positive digital experience
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Take the FREE Teacher Burnout Roadmap to Burnout Recovery Quiz - Take this short, fun, and informative quiz to discover what you need to sustain your teaching career and begin burnout recovery. This quiz will help you understand what support systems you need, how to prioritize your mental health to live a fulfilling and energized life as a teacher, and what drives your self-care.
- Science-Backed Mental Wellness products for stress resilience, mood, motivation, & energy
- Get accessible mental health support from licensed professionals online with Talk Space (They take insurance) - Save $100 with Code SPACE
- Join the Waitlist for Automate Your Classroom Course - Learn the step-by-step roadmap TO creating a sustainable teacher task simplification and automation system to beat burnout, squash stress, get back YOUR time, and sustain your career in education
- Watch the FREE "Balance before Burnout: Work/Life Balance Audit" Mini-workshop
- The Ultimate Teacher Digital Planner
- FREE Affirmations for Burned Out Teachers Workbook to help change your mindset
CONNECT WITH BRITTANY:
- Connect with Brittany on Instagram @teachingmindbodyandsoul
- Learn more on TikTok with Brittany @msprincessteach
- Episode 4: The FIVE Must Have Methods to End the Stress Cycle
- Episode 13: 3 Powerful Tips for Burned Out Teachers to Manage the Beginning of the School Year Stress Cycle
- Episode 48: Transforming Teacher Burnout: From Leaving the Classroom to Rediscovering Fulfillment with Special Guest Amber Harper
- Episode 46: Is ChatGPT the Future of Burnout Prevention [Sustainability Series]
- Episode 45: 5 Simple Automations to Streamline Teaching & Squash Stress [Sustainability Series]
- Episode 47: How to Tackle Your Teacher To Do List & Love Teaching Again with Special Guest Jamie Sears
MORE ABOUT THE RESILIENT TEACHER PODCAST:
The Resilient Teacher Podcast is the show that will give overwhelmed educators the support, tools, and mindset to reduce teacher burnout and keep teaching sustainable. Each week, Brittany Blackwell, M.Ed. & her guests will share inspiration and actionable steps to avoid or recover from the dreaded teacher burnout. You'll be inspired to individualize self-care and learn to prioritize your well-being and mental health, all while making a bigger impact on your classrooms and community.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW ON ITUNES:
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If not, I encourage you to do that NOW so you never miss another episode! New episodes are added every Tuesday, and if you're not subscribed there's a good chance you might miss out on notifications that a new episode has gone live. Click here to subscribe on iTunes!
And if you are feeling extra amazing, I would be super grateful if you would leave a review on iTunes, too! Those reviews help other educators who are burned out and needing support find the podcast, and I love shouting you out on the Community Reviewer of the Week Segment! Just click here to review, select "Ratings & Reviews" and "Write a Review" and share what you are loving about the podcast!
Some links on this page are affiliate links. This helps to support this podcast at no additional cost to you.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.