Teach Smarter, Not Harder: Achieving Sustainability without Sacrificing Your Life [SUSTAINABILITY SERIES]Mar 07, 2023
Sustainability Secrets: Teach Smarter, Not Harder.
If you put one hundred teachers in a room together and asked them what would make teaching a sustainable career, they would all give you different answers. However, those answers would all fit within three different areas: Support, Action, and Mindset, which are the Spheres to Sustainable Teaching. If you ask 100 teachers if teaching has ever made them sacrifice their personal life, 95% of them would say that it has. That's why we've got to start working smarter, not harder if we want to sustain this career long-term.
Why Working Smarter, Not Harder, Is Key to Being an Effective Teacher
A common misconception that many educators fall prey to is that in order to be an effective educator you have to work longer hours, take work home, and do EVERYTHING you can. It's easy to believe that the more time you put into your work, the better your outcomes will be. However, the truth is that working longer hours often leads to burnout and ultimately hinders your effectiveness as a teacher. In this episode, we will bust this myth and give you the keys to shifting your mindset in the second episode of The Sustainability Series.
- Story Time
- The Biggest Myth About Sustainable Teaching: Busted!
- The Impossible Trap that Teachers Need to Escape
- What Teachers Are Trying to Prove as Effective Teachers
- How this is different from other jobs
- More Hours Does Not Equate to Better Teaching
- The Number One Problem Teachers Have
- Prioritizing Impact: The Key to Unlocking Working Smarter, Not Harder
- How to Determine which tasks are sustainable in teaching
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Join the Waitlist for Automate Your Classroom Course - Learn the step-by-step roadmap TO creating a sustainable teacher task simplification and automation system to beat burnout, squash stress, get back YOUR time, and sustain your career in education
- Science-Backed Mental Wellness products for stress resilience, mood, motivation, & energy
- Get accessible mental health support from licensed professionals online with Talk Space (They take insurance) - Save $100 with Code SPACE
- The Individualized EduCare Program - the ultimate roadmap to teacher resilience while building a sustainable and individualized burnout recovery plan so you can stop burning out and start living a balanced life with authenticity.
- Watch the FREE "Balance before Burnout: Work/Life Balance Audit" Mini-workshop
- The Ultimate Teacher Guide to Reducing Decision Fatigue FREEBIE
- Get the AI for Teachers E-Book provides step by step instructions, strategies and real world examples of how other teachers are making their classrooms easier to manage with artificial intelligence.
CONNECT WITH BRITTANY:
- Connect with Brittany on Instagram @teachingmindbodyandsoul
- Learn more on TikTok with Brittany @msprincessteach
- Episode 41: Sustainability Secrets: Overcoming Stress Responses in the Classroom
- Episode 28: TEACHER PEP TALK: The Ugly Truth About Teacher Work-Life Balance
- Episode 20: Is Your Addiction to Stress Keeping You Stuck in Teacher Burnout?
- Episode 4: The FIVE Must Have Methods to End the Stress Cycle
- Episode 13: 3 Powerful Tips for Burned Out Teachers to Manage the Beginning of the School Year Stress Cycle
MORE ABOUT THE RESILIENT TEACHER PODCAST:
The Resilient Teacher Podcast is the show that will give overwhelmed educators the support, tools, and mindset to reduce teacher burnout and keep teaching sustainable. Each week, Brittany Blackwell, M.Ed. & her guests will share inspiration and actionable steps to avoid or recover from the dreaded teacher burnout. You'll be inspired to individualize self-care and learn to prioritize your well-being and mental health, all while making a bigger impact on your classrooms and community.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW ON ITUNES:
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If not, I encourage you to do that NOW so you never miss another episode! New episodes are added every Tuesday, and if you're not subscribed there's a good chance you might miss out on notifications that a new episode has gone live. Click here to subscribe on iTunes!
And if you are feeling extra amazing, I would be super grateful if you would leave a review on iTunes, too! Those reviews help other educators who are burned out and needing support find the podcast, and I love shouting you out on the Community Reviewer of the Week Segment! Just click here to review, select "Ratings & Reviews" and "Write a Review" and share what you are loving about the podcast!
Some links on this page are affiliate links. This helps to support this podcast at no additional cost to you.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.