Sustainability Secrets: Overcoming Stress Responses in the Classroom [SUSTAINABILITY SERIES] (Episode 41)Feb 28, 2023
Sustainability Secrets: Mastering Your Stress Responses as an Educator
Are you one of the thousands of teachers who is feeling overwhelmed, wanting to recover from burnout, and looking for ways to make this career sustainable? This episode is the first in a new series all about unlocking the secrets of sustainable teaching, where I'll highlight the key things in mindset, tools, and support you need in order to reach optimal fulfillment without sacrificing your time, your energy, and your sanity. You see, the key lies in...
Harnessing the Power of Mindset, Support, and Action for Sustainable Teaching
Teaching is not sustainable without each one of these major components, which I have named the Spheres of Sustainability: Mindset, Support, and Action. Without each of these working for and together, sustainability in your career does not and cannot exist.
Hacking Your Stress Response: Understanding Fight, Flight, Freeze, and Fawn
One of the most common causes of burnout among teachers is the habit of succumbing to stress responses when faced with challenging situations. Every teacher is guilty of this mistake at one time or another, myself included. The beauty of this profession is that we can learn to understand and manage our stress responses as we become self-aware, shift our mindset, and find ways to keep moving forward towards sustainability, because success and fulfillment lie just on the other side. So let's dive into the first in the sustainability series and learn how to hack our stress response.
- Is teaching a sustainable career?
- The Three Spheres of Sustainable Teaching©
- Sustainable Teaching Unlocks Eudemonic Happiness
- What is Eudemonic Happiness
- How Stress and Teacher Stress Responses Impact Sustainability
- The Four Types of Stress Responses
- What each looks like in the profession
- Common stress triggers for teachers
- How to take action with your unique stress responses
- Motivational message to inspire teachers to prioritize their sustainability
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Think Like a Monk: Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Every Day Book by Jay Shetty
- Science-Backed Mental Wellness products for stress resilience, mood, motivation, & energy
- Get accessible mental health support from licensed professionals online with Talk Space (They take insurance) - Save $100 with Code SPACE
- Watch the FREE "Balance before Burnout: Work/Life Balance Audit" Mini-workshop
- The Ultimate Teacher Guide to Reducing Decision Fatigue FREEBIE
- Get the AI for Teachers E-Book provides step by step instructions, strategies and real world examples of how other teachers are making their classrooms easier to manage with artificial intelligence.
- Automate Your Classroom - Learn the step-by-step roadmap TO creating a sustainable teacher task simplification and automation system to beat burnout, squash stress, get back YOUR time, and sustain your career in education
- The Individualized EduCare Program - the ultimate roadmap to teacher resilience while building a sustainable and individualized burnout recovery plan so you can stop burning out and start living a balanced life with authenticity.
CONNECT WITH BRITTANY:
- Connect with Brittany on Instagram @teachingmindbodyandsoul
- Learn more on TikTok with Brittany @msprincessteach
- Episode 39: From Stressed to Serene: The Positive Impact of Movement on Teacher Mental Health with Andrea Mishio
- Episode 30: Why Your Teacher Planner is not Going to Solve Your Teacher Burnout Issues (but what will)
- Episode 28: TEACHER PEP TALK: The Ugly Truth About Teacher Work-Life Balance
- Episode 20: Is Your Addiction to Stress Keeping You Stuck in Teacher Burnout?
- Episode 4: The FIVE Must Have Methods to End the Stress Cycle
- Episode 13: 3 Powerful Tips for Burned Out Teachers to Manage the Beginning of the School Year Stress Cycle
MORE ABOUT THE RESILIENT TEACHER PODCAST:
The Resilient Teacher Podcast is the show that will give overwhelmed educators the support, tools, and mindset to reduce teacher burnout and keep teaching sustainable. Each week, Brittany Blackwell, M.Ed. & her guests will share inspiration and actionable steps to avoid or recover from the dreaded teacher burnout. You'll be inspired to individualize self-care and learn to prioritize your well-being and mental health, all while making a bigger impact on your classrooms and community.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW ON ITUNES:
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If not, I encourage you to do that NOW so you never miss another episode! New episodes are added every Tuesday, and if you're not subscribed there's a good chance you might miss out on notifications that a new episode has gone live. Click here to subscribe on iTunes!
And if you are feeling extra amazing, I would be super grateful if you would leave a review on iTunes, too! Those reviews help other educators who are burned out and needing support find the podcast, and I love shouting you out on the Community Reviewer of the Week Segment! Just click here to review, select "Ratings & Reviews" and "Write a Review" and share what you are loving about the podcast!
Some links on this page are affiliate links. This helps to support this podcast at no additional cost to you.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.