Teacher Pep Talk: Finding Your Voice and Fighting Imposter Syndrome (Episode 38)Feb 07, 2023
Have you ever felt like you just weren't "enough"? Here is an imposter syndrome definition for anyone who is unsure or never experienced this: imposter syndrome is a set of inadequacies that linger in the face of achievement. It is difficult for "imposters" to feel successful or have outside validation of their competence because they are constantly doubt themselves and feel like "a fraud." Yes, unfortunately, imposter syndrome is a real thing, but there are things we can do to stomp it to the curb. Truthfully, we all - myself included - struggle with this at some point in our journey. Therefore, even though your own imposter syndromes may manifest in a variety of ways, in order to find a way to your boundless success, we must tackle it head-on. In today's episode, we're doing just that.
Here’s a list of questions that may indicate that you’re dealing with imposter syndrome:
Are you certified in middle school but want to step into a different grade level?
Are you a first year teacher and want to try something new or innovative but scared of what veterans will think?
Are you wanting to step into a leadership role?
Are you ready to retire but still feel like you could bring something vital to the education table?
Do you feel unfulfilled in your current role but afraid to step into a new role for fear you may fail? Or not be good enough?
If you answered yes to any of the above or if you relate to any of the above, you might be dealing with imposter syndrome. In this episode, I’m going to lay out the action steps you need to kick imposter syndrome to the curb. Before I do, I'm going to share with you my recent imposter infiltration and remind you that you are not alone.
- What is imposter syndrome?
- How imposter syndrome shows up for educators
- How to overcome it
- Why imposter syndrome exists
- Imposter syndrome pep talk to get you to shift your perspective when you feel like you're not "enough"
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Science-Backed Mental Wellness products for stress resilience, mood, motivation, & energy
- Get accessible mental health support from licensed professionals online with Talk Space (They take insurance) - Save $100 with Code SPACE
- The Ultimate Teacher Guide to Reducing Decision Fatigue FREEBIE
- Get the AI for Teachers E-Book provides step by step instructions, strategies and real world examples of how other teachers are making their classrooms easier to manage with artificial intelligence.
- The Individualized EduCare Program - the ultimate roadmap to teacher resilience while building a sustainable and individualized self-care plan so you can stop burning out and start living a balanced life with authenticity.
- Watch the FREE "Balance before Burnout: Work/Life Balance Audit" Mini-workshop
- The Ultimate Teacher Digital Planner
- FREE Affirmations for Burned Out Teachers Workbook
CONNECT WITH BRITTANY:
- Connect with Brittany on Instagram @teachingmindbodyandsoul
- Learn more on TikTok with Brittany @msprincessteach
- Episode 18: Teacher Pep Talk For Dealing with Unrealistic Expectations and Feeling Like It's Never "Enough"
- Episode 14: Teacher Pep Talk: For When You’re Doubting Yourself and Letting Limiting Beliefs Keep You Stuck
- Episode 28: The Truth About Teacher Work-Life Balance
- Episode 16: TEACHER PEP TALK: “Quiet Quitting” For When You are Struggling with Setting Authentic Boundaries
- Episode 24: Avoiding Perfectionism So You Can Save Your Teaching Career
MORE ABOUT THE RESILIENT TEACHER PODCAST:
The Resilient Teacher Podcast is the show that will give overwhelmed educators the support, tools, and mindset to reduce teacher burnout and keep teaching sustainable. Each week, Brittany Blackwell, M.Ed. & her guests will share inspiration and actionable steps to avoid or recover from the dreaded teacher burnout. You'll be inspired to individualize self-care and learn to prioritize your well-being and mental health, all while making a bigger impact on your classrooms and community.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW ON ITUNES:
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If not, I encourage you to do that NOW so you never miss another episode! New episodes are added every Tuesday, and if you're not subscribed there's a good chance you might miss out on notifications that a new episode has gone live. Click here to subscribe on iTunes!
And if you are feeling extra amazing, I would be super grateful if you would leave a review on iTunes, too! Those reviews help other educators who are burned out and needing support find the podcast, and I love shouting you out on the Community Reviewer of the Week Segment! Just click here to review, select "Ratings & Reviews" and "Write a Review" and share what you are loving about the podcast!
Some links on this page are affiliate links. This helps to support this podcast at no additional cost to you.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.