Reigniting Passion for Teaching with Student Engagement & Classroom Transformations with Special Guest Natalie Blackman (Ep. 37)Jan 31, 2023
Are you a teacher who is burnout or feeling overwhelmed, disengaged, and defeated? Finding our unique strengths in our classroom, in our lives, and in our job can really improve our overall sense of well-being and finding our passion. Not everyone was meant to be a teacher, but I believe that if you are here or listening to this podcast then there is a reason you wanted to make an impact in a classroom and finding that unique strength that you hold can be the difference between surviving and thriving in your career.
That's why I am excited to have Natalie Blackman as a guest in this episode to chat about how she ignited her passion for teaching with her creativity through student engagement and classroom transformations.
Now here's a little known fact that not enough people are talking about. While there are a ton of well-being practices in our world, there is evidence and research that shows how engaging in everyday creative behaviors for just 15 minutes can shift not only your motivation but your overall wellbeing. Simply making the rephrased statement of "I'm working on finding my passions again" instead of "I'm so burnt out I have no idea what I like or who I am anymore" can make a huge improvement in reigniting that passion. Scientifically speaking, the antidote to burnout isn't just sitting around and doing nothing; it's making space for things that give you joy. Creative flow is restorative. Natalie is the epitome of merging her creativity into her classroom.
Natalie Blackman, who you might know as The Teaching Files on social media is a 6th grade math and student leadership teacher and coach, who is passionate about student engagement. Her love of iced coffee, school supplies, and reality T.V. is evident in her energy, love, and ideas for creating activities, lessons, and resources that reach students and make learning & teaching fun again.
- Resilient Teacher Shoutout
- Meet Natalie Blackman
- Burnout as a non-traditional teacher candidate
- Ways to get students engaged
- How Engagement Changes the Culture of the Classroom & the Mindset of the Educator
- Questions to Ask Yourself When Focusing on Engagement
- What are classroom transformations?
- How are classroom transformations beneficial for students and the teacher on a deeper level?
- 3 tips for Classroom Transformations
- Done for you classroom transformations templates that can be adapted for any grade level or subject area
- Gamifying review - Freebie from Natalie
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Free Tumbling Towers Review Game
- Engagement for the Middle Facebook Group
- Done for You Classroom Transformation Templates
- Natalie's Fun Classroom Transformation Ideas
- Breaking Down How to do a Classroom Transformation
- Get accessible mental health support from licensed professionals online with Talk Space (They take insurance) - Save $100 with Code SPACE
CONNECT WITH NATALIE BLACKMAN:
- Instagram: @theteachingfiles
- Tiktok: @theteachingfiles
- Website: https://theteachingfiles.education/
CONNECT WITH BRITTANY:
- Connect with Brittany on Instagram @teachingmindbodyandsoul
- Learn more on TikTok with Brittany @msprincessteach
- Episode 17: 3 Simple Steps to Managing Your Limited Teacher Planning Time & Reduce Stress with Special Guest Stephanie Palovchik (Ep. 17)
- Episode 27: A Powerful Antidote to Teacher Burnout with Special Guest Lisa Baylis
- Episode 11: The Ultimate Teacher Time Hacks for Burnout Prevention with Jen Manly
- Episode 25: Reclaiming Passion for Teaching in the Midst of Burnout & Breakdown with Chad Pettit
MORE ABOUT THE RESILIENT TEACHER PODCAST:
The Resilient Teacher Podcast is the show that will give overwhelmed educators the support, tools, and mindset to reduce teacher burnout and keep teaching sustainable. Each week, Brittany Blackwell, M.Ed. & her guests will share inspiration and actionable steps to avoid or recover from the dreaded teacher burnout. You'll be inspired to individualize self-care and learn to prioritize your well-being and mental health, all while making a bigger impact on your classrooms and community.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW ON ITUNES:
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If not, I encourage you to do that NOW so you never miss another episode! New episodes are added every Tuesday, and if you're not subscribed there's a good chance you might miss out on notifications that a new episode has gone live. Click here to subscribe on iTunes!
And if you are feeling extra amazing, I would be super grateful if you would leave a review on iTunes, too! Those reviews help other educators who are burned out and needing support find the podcast, and I love shouting you out on the Community Reviewer of the Week Segment! Just click here to review, select "Ratings & Reviews" and "Write a Review" and share what you are loving about the podcast!
Some links on this page are affiliate links. This helps to support this podcast at no additional cost to you.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.