The Power of Teacher SEL (it's not just for your students) with Special Guest Elizabeth Peterson (Ep. 31)Dec 20, 2022
For the past several years, Social Emotional Learning (SEL) has been a topic that has been heavily emphasized for students, but what about when it comes to SEL for teachers?
The power of teacher SEL lies in its ability to improve teacher well-being and effectiveness. When teachers are able to manage their own emotions and navigate social interactions effectively, they are better able to handle the challenges and demands of the teaching profession. This can lead to improved job satisfaction and overall well-being, as well as better classroom management and student outcomes. Additionally, teacher SEL can also have a positive impact on the broader school community. When teachers are able to model social emotional skills and create a positive classroom culture, this can have a ripple effect and contribute to a more positive and supportive school environment.
That's why I am joined in this episode by Elizabeth Peterson of The Inspired Classroom to talk all things Teacher SEL (or SEAL as she likes to refer to it) and the power that it has on really overcoming, recovering from, and preventing burnout.
Elizabeth Peterson loves helping caring, creative teachers bring the arts practically and meaningfully into their classrooms. An arts integration specialist with degrees in Arts, Leadership and Learning, she hosts theinspiredclassroom.com. Elizabeth is the creator of SEAL, Social-Emotional Artistic Learning: a unique and holistic method of integrating the arts with SEL. She is in her 24th year of teaching and 16th year of hosting workshops, retreats and online courses in arts integration and SEAL. Elizabeth believes that when caring, creative teachers feel empowered with SEAL strategies in their classroom, they make a difference in their students’ lives every day.
- Resilient Teacher Shoutout
- Elizabeth's Teaching Journey
- Social Emotional Learning is not just for students
- What SEL for Teachers looks like
- How Mindset plays a part in SEL
- The 3 Phases of Implementation of SEL for Educators
- Creativity in SEL Integration & Authentic Care
- The Mindset Shift You NEED
- What is SEAL in terms of SEL?
- Suggestions for teachers to incorporate SEL or SEAL to best meet their personal and their students' needs
- The number one thing to do for personal and student SEAL
- Creative ways to deal with burnout and reignite passion for teaching
- Elizabeth's guided exercise for SEL for teachers: Reflection & Reframe
- Elizabeth's FREE workshop for Social Emotional Learning and Arts Integration
- Teacher Book Recommendations for Personal Social Emotional Learning
- Connect further with Elizabeth
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Recommended books/courses from Elizabeth:
- Elizabeth's SEAL Teacher Training
- FREE SEAL Training
- Reignite Your Passion for Teaching Workshop
- Get accessible mental health support from licensed professionals online with Talk Space (They take insurance) - Save $100 with Code SPACE
- Ask your question to be answered on The Resilient Teacher Podcast
CONNECT WITH ELIZABETH PETERSON:
CONNECT WITH BRITTANY:
- Connect with Brittany on Instagram @teachingmindbodyandsoul
- Learn more on TikTok with Brittany @msprincessteach
- Feed Your Energy In and Out of the Classroom with Special Guest Bre Baildon (Ep. 23)
- Reclaiming Passion for Teaching in the Midst of Burnout & Breakdown with Chad Pettit (Ep. 25)
- Compassion Fatigue: The Cost of Caring for Teachers with Special Guest Ayesis Clay (Ep. 29)
- A Powerful Antidote to Teacher Burnout with Special Guest Lisa Baylis (Ep. 27)
MORE ABOUT THE RESILIENT TEACHER PODCAST:
The Resilient Teacher Podcast is the show that will give overwhelmed educators the support, tools, and mindset to reduce teacher burnout and keep teaching sustainable. Each week, Brittany Blackwell, M.Ed. & her guests will share inspiration and actionable steps to avoid or recover from the dreaded teacher burnout. You'll be inspired to individualize self-care and learn to prioritize your well-being and mental health, all while making a bigger impact on your classrooms and community.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW ON ITUNES:
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If not, I encourage you to do that NOW so you never miss another episode! New episodes are added every Tuesday, and if you're not subscribed there's a good chance you might miss out on notifications that a new episode has gone live. Click here to subscribe on iTunes!
And if you are feeling extra amazing, I would be super grateful if you would leave a review on iTunes, too! Those reviews help other educators who are burned out and needing support find the podcast, and I love shouting you out on the Community Reviewer of the Week Segment! Just click here to review, select "Ratings & Reviews" and "Write a Review" and share what you are loving about the podcast!
Some links on this page are affiliate links. This helps to support this podcast at no additional cost to you.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.