A Powerful Antidote to Teacher Burnout with Special Guest Lisa Baylis (Ep. 27)Nov 22, 2022
Have you ever made a mistake in teaching and all of a sudden you're saying "I'm just not good at this" or judging yourself pretty harshly? I know I have and if you are anything like me, you may not have even realized that these limiting beliefs and negative self-talk can really start to accumulate over time leading to the dreaded teacher burnout.
According to multiple studies, mindfulness and self-compassion are associated with lower rates of stress and burnout. However, if you are not familiar with intentionally being self-compassionate or mindfulness, you may not yield these same results.
This is why it is important to know how self-compassion really looks, how this relates to mindfulness, and empathy; all of which are much needed in order to foster a positive environment in your classrooms and in your mental health. In this episode, Lisa Baylis shares with us the basics of self-compassion, how this actually works in our brains and nervous systems, as well as the three components of practicing self-compassion.
Lisa Baylis has been sharing well-being strategies for the last 20 years. A natural-born connector with an innate ability to make people feel valued and heard, she is a teacher, a counsellor, a facilitator, and a mother. Lisa is a published author of "Self-Compassion for Educators" as well as, the creator of the AWE Method — Awakening the Wellbeing for Educators — which merges self-care, mindfulness, and self-compassion.
If you are ready to Break the Teacher Burnout Cycle, let me invite you to my FREE Break the Burnout Cycle Webinar and share with you the 6 SIMPLE steps to surviving and thriving before winter break. When you attend you will walk away with the official Break the Burnout Cycle Guide, a one hour PD credit you can provide to your district for continuing education credits, and an entry to an Amazon gift card giveaway. This event is completely FREE and I want to share with you the steps you can take so that you can get unstuck and reignite your passion again.
- Resilient Teacher Shoutout
- Lisa's Road to supporting educators
- The correlation between student and teacher wellness
- Why Self-Compassion is such a foundational practice for educators
- The Power of Co-Regulation
- How to Determine if You Need Better Self-Compassion Practices
- What is the "compassionate voice?"
- The Difference Between Self-Compassion & Mindfulness
- The 3 Components of Self-Compassion Practice
- How is self-compassion different than the empathy we show our students?
- The brain science about how empathy and compassion work together
- The formula for self-compassion that you can begin TODAY
- The STOP frame work for giving yourself permission to notice
- Free Self-Compassion Practices from Lisa
- How you can connect with Lisa
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Lisa's FREE Insight Timer 5 Minute Self-Compassion Practice
- Free Practices from Lisa's Book
- Get your copy of Lisa's Book - "Self Compassion for Educators"
- Ask your questions to get them answered on The Resilient Teacher Podcast HERE (these can be anonymous)
- Sign up for the FREE Break the Burnout Cycle Webinar & Learn the 6 Simple Steps for Surviving & Thriving before winter break
- Get accessible mental health support from licensed professionals online with Talk Space (They take insurance) - Save $100 with Code SPACE
CONNECT WITH LISA BAYLIS:
- Instagram: @lisabaylis
- Tiktok: @lisabayliseducator
- Website: https://lisabaylis.com/
CONNECT WITH BRITTANY:
- Connect with Brittany on Instagram @teachingmindbodyandsoul
- Learn more on TikTok with Brittany @msprincessteach
- Episode 6: The Game Changing Method of Healing Burnout with Inner Work with Ce'arra Richards
- Episode 25: Reclaiming Passion for Teaching in the Midst of Burnout & Breakdown with Chad Pettit
- Episode 23: Feed Your Energy In and Out of the Classroom with Special Guest Bre Baildon
- Episode 11: The Ultimate Teacher Time Hacks for Burnout Prevention with Jen Manly
- Episode 7: How to Battle Student Behavior and Beat Teacher Burnout this Coming School Year with Gina Peluso and Rachel Nye
- Episode 4: The 5 Must Have Methods for Teachers To End the Stress Cycle this Summer
MORE ABOUT THE RESILIENT TEACHER PODCAST:
The Resilient Teacher Podcast is the show that will give overwhelmed educators the support, tools, and mindset to reduce teacher burnout and keep teaching sustainable. Each week, Brittany Blackwell, M.Ed. & her guests will share inspiration and actionable steps to avoid or recover from the dreaded teacher burnout. You'll be inspired to individualize self-care and learn to prioritize your well-being and mental health, all while making a bigger impact on your classrooms and community.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW ON ITUNES:
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If not, I encourage you to do that NOW so you never miss another episode! New episodes are added every Tuesday, and if you're not subscribed there's a good chance you might miss out on notifications that a new episode has gone live. Click here to subscribe on iTunes!
And if you are feeling extra amazing, I would be super grateful if you would leave a review on iTunes, too! Those reviews help other educators who are burned out and needing support find the podcast, and I love shouting you out on the Community Reviewer of the Week Segment! Just click here to review, select "Ratings & Reviews" and "Write a Review" and share what you are loving about the podcast!
Some links on this page are affiliate links. This helps to support this podcast at no additional cost to you.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.