65. Teacher Mental Health: Navigating Challenges and Embracing Resilience for New Teachers with Special Guest Helena HainsAug 01, 2023
Picture this: a classroom filled with engaged and enthusiastic students, a teacher brimming with passion and energy, and an atmosphere radiating positivity and growth. It may sound like a dream, but the secret behind this transformative classroom experience lies within one crucial aspect: teacher mental health.
As educators, we pour our hearts into nurturing the minds of our students, but often forget to tend to our own mind and our own well-being. In this episode, we open your eyes to the truth about teacher mental health. In this episode, Helena Hains and I share our personal journeys, offering practical strategies to prevent burnout, build resilience, and embrace self-compassion. This isn't just another self-help spiel; it's a wake-up call to all educators (new and veterans alike) to prioritize their mental health for a profound impact on their teaching journey. Get ready to unlock the power within and witness the magic that happens when teachers nurture themselves, as they do their students.
Helena Hains is a New Elementary Coach, who empowers new elementary educators to go from being overwhelmed and feeling frazzled to being excited and confidently having a smoothly ran classroom. Helena knows the importance of systems and how they can make teaching a joyful and impactful profession. Also known as The Present Teacher, Helena has presented at over 10 other summits, and loves to share all the latest teacher tips on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and her Podcast. Helena graduated from Eastern Oregon University, with her Master's in Elementary Education and a Minor in ESL and Spanish.
- The Truth About Mental Health for New Teachers: Understanding the Challenges
- Setting Up Systems for New Teachers: Classroom Management, Time Management, and More
- Prioritizing Mental Health: Gratitude Practices and Mindfulness for Teachers
- Seeking Support and Mentorship: The Power of Guidance in the Teaching Journey
- Mindset Shift: Embracing Self-Compassion and Celebrating Successes
- Preventing Burnout: Actionable Tips for New Teachers
- Navigating the First Years of Teaching: From Interview to Classroom Success
- The Impact of Mental Health on Teaching: Research and Insights
- Overcoming Challenges: Strategies for Adapting to New Environments and Classroom Dynamics
- The Role of Counseling: How Professional Help Can Transform Your Teaching Experience
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- High Five Habit by Mel Robbins
- Set Boundaries Find Peace book by Nedra Tawwab
- Atomic Habits by James Clear
- Joy at Work by Marie Kondo
- Grab Your How to Get Away with Teaching Subscription Box
- Get accessible mental health support from licensed professionals online with Talk Space (They take insurance) - Save $100 with Code SPACE
CONNECT WITH HELENA HAINS:
CONNECT WITH BRITTANY:
- Connect with Brittany on Instagram @teachingmindbodyandsoul
- Learn more on TikTok with Brittany @msprincessteach
- Episode 59: Breathing Life into Education: The Power of Breathwork in Reducing Stress & Teacher Burnout with Dr. Katie Raher
- Episode 55: Why Summer Break is the Best Time To Begin Teacher Burnout Recovery: The 3 Essential Steps to Using Summer to Break the Burnout Cycle
- Episode 60: Unlocking Classroom Success: 4 Types of Systems You Need to Stress Less & Sustain Your Career [Summer Self-Care Series] with Special Guest Samantha Holcomb
- Episode 61: Tapping into Joyful Living Inside & Outside of the Classroom: Strategies for Teacher Happiness with Special Guest Maddy Fry
- Episode 62: Digital Organization: Your Secret Weapon for Stress-Free Teaching with Special Guest Lisa McHargue
- Episode 63: How to Beat Behavior Burnout: Expert Strategies for Managing Student Behavior with Special Guest Rachel Nye [Summer Self-Care Series]
MORE ABOUT THE RESILIENT TEACHER PODCAST:
The Resilient Teacher Podcast is the show that will give overwhelmed educators the support, tools, and mindset to reduce teacher burnout and keep teaching sustainable. Each week, Brittany Blackwell, M.Ed. & her guests will share inspiration and actionable steps to avoid or recover from the dreaded teacher burnout. You'll be inspired to individualize self-care and learn to prioritize your well-being and mental health, all while making a bigger impact on your classrooms and community.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW ON ITUNES:
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If not, I encourage you to do that NOW so you never miss another episode! New episodes are added every Tuesday, and if you're not subscribed there's a good chance you might miss out on notifications that a new episode has gone live. Click here to subscribe on iTunes!
And if you are feeling extra amazing, I would be super grateful if you would leave a review on iTunes, too! Those reviews help other educators who are burned out and needing support find the podcast, and I love shouting you out on the Community Reviewer of the Week Segment! Just click here to review, select "Ratings & Reviews" and "Write a Review" and share what you are loving about the podcast!
Some links on this page are affiliate links. This helps to support this podcast at no additional cost to you.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.