60. Unlocking Classroom Success: 4 Types of Systems You Need to Stress Less & Sustain Your Career [Summer Self-Care Series] with Special Guest Samantha HolcombJul 07, 2023
The Power of Systems for Beating Teacher Burnout
Are you a teacher struggling to get out of teacher burnout? Long hours, demanding responsibilities, and the constant juggling act of managing a classroom can take a toll on even the most passionate educators. But what if there was a way to alleviate some of that stress and sustain your career in the long run? In this episode, Samantha Holcomb joins us as we chat all about the transformative power of teacher systems and how they can be your secret weapon in combating burnout while unlocking classroom success.
Supporting Teachers: How Systems Can Help Reduce Burnout and Enhance Success
Most teachers have a routine or two that they run in their classroom, but routines and systms are very different. Systems are what you need. By implementing strategic systems, you can regain control, streamline your workflow, and find more joy in teaching. In this episode, we explore four types of systems specifically designed to support teachers in reducing burnout, enhancing productivity, and fostering a sustainable career.
Sam Holcomb went from the world of engineering to high school science teacher, and it was hard! That first year of teaching she had a 2 year old and 2 month old with 7 middle school math and science preps to balance. Most weeks were completely stressed and sleep deprived until she made the connection that the engineering and lean efficiency systems from her "previous life" would be the tools to simplify the time and energy spent on seemingly endless to-do lists. Now in year 6, and having to learn 16 different courses to teach, shes determined to make sure everyone can implement simple systems to their classroom and home life!
- Samantha's Journey from Engineer to High School teacher
- Lessons learned from a rough first year and finding the right fit
- What are systems and why are they important?
- Trash can rule and its application in the classroom
- Applying systems to manage stuffed animals at home
- Genius Laundry Room Hack for Kids' Socks
- Teacher Stress: Struggles and Strategies
- Block System: Managing Time and Boundaries as a Teacher
- Creating Template Rubrics for Efficient Grading
- Connecting with Samantha: Instagram, Podcast, Teachers Pay Teachers, Etsy
- About Samantha's session at the 2023 Summer Self-Care Conference
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Grab your FREE ticket to the 2023 Summer Self-Care Conference coming July 21-23rd, 2023 & Learn more from Samantha in her session. The Summer Self-Care Conference is a FREE LIVE virtual conference for educators to beat burnout, work smarter (not harder), and live their best lives in and out of the classroom with over 20+ teacher expert presenters, giveaways, prizes, and SO MUCH MORE!
"3 Simple Systems To Maximize your Time and Minimize your Work" | Samantha Holcomb
8:00-8:30 - Q&A in the Facebook Group
Feeling overwhelmed by the never-ending lists or the "not enough hours in the day" mantra is Teacher Stress 101. We all struggle with not only wanting more time in our day, but wanting to use it on OUR terms. In this session, we will discuss 3 simple productivity systems (that almost every "big wig" and major corporation use) that are easy to implement, and will earn you back your free time the longer you use them. Let's chat block scheduling, using templates, and how SOP's can all be a time-saving game changer! Don't worry, I wouldn't give you something that only works in one area of your life. Together, we will implement all 3 of these systems into your work, home, and personal life to make the most of your time and minimize your effort!
CONNECT WITH SAMANTHA HOLCOMB:
- Instagram: @engineerdoeseducation
- Website: http://engineerdoeseducation.com/
- Podcast: http://engineerdoeseducation.com/podcast/
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@engineerdoeseducation
- Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/EngDoesEduShop
- TeachersPayTeachers: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Engineerdoeseducation
CONNECT WITH BRITTANY:
- Connect with Brittany on Instagram @teachingmindbodyandsoul
- Learn more on TikTok with Brittany @msprincessteach
- Episode 59: Breathing Life into Education: The Power of Breathwork in Reducing Stress & Teacher Burnout with Dr. Katie Raher
- Episode 55: Why Summer Break is the Best Time To Begin Teacher Burnout Recovery: The 3 Essential Steps to Using Summer to Break the Burnout Cycle
- Episode 56: 3 Ways to Stress Less Starting this Summer & Beat Burnout Next School Year
- Ep 3: Why Summer Break is Not Going to Get You Out of Teacher Burnout (Ep 3 - Summer Burnout Recovery Series)
- Ep 4: The 5 Must Have Methods for Teachers To End the Stress Cycle this Summer (Ep. 4 - Summer Burnout Recovery Series)
MORE ABOUT THE RESILIENT TEACHER PODCAST:
The Resilient Teacher Podcast is the show that will give overwhelmed educators the support, tools, and mindset to reduce teacher burnout and keep teaching sustainable. Each week, Brittany Blackwell, M.Ed. & her guests will share inspiration and actionable steps to avoid or recover from the dreaded teacher burnout. You'll be inspired to individualize self-care and learn to prioritize your well-being and mental health, all while making a bigger impact on your classrooms and community.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW ON ITUNES:
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If not, I encourage you to do that NOW so you never miss another episode! New episodes are added every Tuesday, and if you're not subscribed there's a good chance you might miss out on notifications that a new episode has gone live. Click here to subscribe on iTunes!
And if you are feeling extra amazing, I would be super grateful if you would leave a review on iTunes, too! Those reviews help other educators who are burned out and needing support find the podcast, and I love shouting you out on the Community Reviewer of the Week Segment! Just click here to review, select "Ratings & Reviews" and "Write a Review" and share what you are loving about the podcast!
Some links on this page are affiliate links. This helps to support this podcast at no additional cost to you.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.