How to Tackle Your Teacher To Do List & Love Teaching Again with Special Guest Jamie SearsApr 11, 2023
Are you a teacher struggling to find joy in your job? Do you feel overwhelmed by the never-ending to-do list and burned out by the education system? Hey, I'm with you. I know that feeling. And so does the special guest in today's episode.
This overwhelming to do list that so many teachers struggle with - sometimes, it is put on us by the broken education system and other times, we might be putting tasks on it that just don't make a difference. That's why it's important to differentiate between self-inflicted burnout and the systemic issues within education. In this podcast episode, Jamie Sears sheds light on the "Good Teacher Narrative" that's holding many teachers back and provides her personal definition of what makes a "good teacher". She also shares her insights on the "Marshmallow Effect" and how it relates to teachers and job creep. Don't miss Jamie's number one piece of advice for teachers who think they can't fall back in love with teaching again, and learn how to approach your to-do list with intention and purpose.
Jamie Sears is a fun-loving mom, wife, entrepreneur, and forever teacher at heart. She is also the author of How to Love Teaching Again. After several years in the classroom, her passion to make teaching fun and effective for students and teachers alike inspired her to start Not So Wimpy Teacher. Now she has the honor of serving hundreds of thousands of teachers around the world by providing easy-to-use, hands-on resources, and engaging professional development that help students to love learning and teachers to love teaching.
- How teacher to-do's impact burnout and overwhelm
- Jamie's Journey overcoming fear of kids to falling in love with teaching
- Putting in the work for teaching isn't all it's cracked up to be
- The "Good Teacher Narrative" that's holding so many teachers back
- Jamie's "Marshmallow Effect" and how it relates to teachers and job creep
- The difference between self-inflicted burnout and the broken education system
- Write your own definition of a "good teacher"
- Jamie's number one tip for tackling the never ending to-do list
- How to time block high priority tasks & get them done
- How to challenge your brain to go from to-do list to to-done list
- How to Fall back in love with teaching without it taking over your entire life
- The other strategies that Jamie covers in her book
- Jamie's number one piece of advice for teachers who think they can't fall back in love with teaching again
- Could you fall in love with your least favorite thing about teaching?
- Where to find Jamie's book & learn more from her
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE:
- Get Jamie's Book How to Love Teaching Again
- Join the Waitlist for Automate Your Classroom Course - Learn the step-by-step roadmap TO creating a sustainable teacher task simplification and automation system to beat burnout, squash stress, get back YOUR time, and sustain your career in education
- Take the FREE Teacher Burnout Roadmap to Burnout Recovery Quiz - Take this short, fun, and informative quiz to discover what you need to sustain your teaching career and begin burnout recovery. This quiz will help you understand what support systems you need, how to prioritize your mental health to live a fulfilling and energized life as a teacher, and what drives your self-care.
CONNECT WITH JAMIE SEARS:
- Instagram: @notsowimptyteacher
- Website: https://notsowimpyteacher.com/
CONNECT WITH BRITTANY:
- Connect with Brittany on Instagram @teachingmindbodyandsoul
- Learn more on TikTok with Brittany @msprincessteach
- Episode 46: Is ChatGPT the Future of Burnout Prevention [Sustainability Series]
- Episode 45: 5 Simple Automations to Streamline Teaching & Squash Stress [Sustainability Series]
- Episode 19: Transforming Teacher Burnout Mess to an Inspiring Teacher Burnout Message with Self-Care with Rachel Lenhart
- Episode 11: The Ultimate Teacher Time Hacks for Burnout Prevention with Jen Manly
- Episode 7: How to Battle Student Behavior and Beat Teacher Burnout this Coming School Year with Gina Peluso and Rachel Nye
- Episode 4: The 5 Must Have Methods for Teachers To End the Stress Cycle this Summer
MORE ABOUT THE RESILIENT TEACHER PODCAST:
The Resilient Teacher Podcast is the show that will give overwhelmed educators the support, tools, and mindset to reduce teacher burnout and keep teaching sustainable. Each week, Brittany Blackwell, M.Ed. & her guests will share inspiration and actionable steps to avoid or recover from the dreaded teacher burnout. You'll be inspired to individualize self-care and learn to prioritize your well-being and mental health, all while making a bigger impact on your classrooms and community.
SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW ON ITUNES:
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If not, I encourage you to do that NOW so you never miss another episode! New episodes are added every Tuesday, and if you're not subscribed there's a good chance you might miss out on notifications that a new episode has gone live. Click here to subscribe on iTunes!
And if you are feeling extra amazing, I would be super grateful if you would leave a review on iTunes, too! Those reviews help other educators who are burned out and needing support find the podcast, and I love shouting you out on the Community Reviewer of the Week Segment! Just click here to review, select "Ratings & Reviews" and "Write a Review" and share what you are loving about the podcast!
Some links on this page are affiliate links. This helps to support this podcast at no additional cost to you.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.